Pages

Friday, March 16, 2007

Lady Alice Lisle Book Illustration Portrait












Lady Alice Lisle - I only had the painting at the far left (from a book cover) to use as my art reference. I created a mirror image in my graphics program, and then used that as my art reference. I needed to age her to about age 70.

Lady Alice was executed by beheading in 1695. I looked up fashion examples of women's wear and head coverings for that time period. I especially looked for older women, which was difficult. I found this hat on an older lady in the correct time period and decided it might be appropriate.

To age her, I surmised that she would have darker circles under her eyes, her jowls would be a little lower, and I decided on some lines on her forehead and near her eyebrows. I made her more gray at her temples...and certainly more gray-haired than we tend to think of a 70 year old woman as being...but remember in those days, there weren't any Clairol haircolors!

3 comments:

Darla, Pencil Portrait Artist said...

I'm going to remove that heart shaped thing that's on her hat. It was in my reference picture, but it's kind of confusing element in the picture.

Lorraine said...

I really like how it turned out!

Darla Dixon, Artist said...

Thank you!