Pages

Friday, March 16, 2007

Lady Alice Lisle Book Illustration Portrait












Lady Alice Lisle - I only had the painting at the far left (from a book cover) to use as my art reference. I created a mirror image in my graphics program, and then used that as my art reference. I needed to age her to about age 70.

Lady Alice was executed by beheading in 1695. I looked up fashion examples of women's wear and head coverings for that time period. I especially looked for older women, which was difficult. I found this hat on an older lady in the correct time period and decided it might be appropriate.

To age her, I surmised that she would have darker circles under her eyes, her jowls would be a little lower, and I decided on some lines on her forehead and near her eyebrows. I made her more gray at her temples...and certainly more gray-haired than we tend to think of a 70 year old woman as being...but remember in those days, there weren't any Clairol haircolors!

3 comments:

DD said...

I'm going to remove that heart shaped thing that's on her hat. It was in my reference picture, but it's kind of confusing element in the picture.

Unknown said...

I really like how it turned out!

DD said...

Thank you!